Season 2, Episode 1

Lizzie Borden

Andrew J. Borden was found lying on a couch in the Borden house on August 4, 1892, in Fall River, Massachusetts. His daughter, Lizzie, said she was outside in the barn when her father was killed.

Abby Borden's body was found in the second floor guest room of the Borden house on August 4, 1892. She is believed to have been killed first.

The "handleless hatchet" found in the basement was the suspected murder weapon.

Also, found in the basement, was a bucket with multiple bloody cloths. Lizzie claimed they were from her time of the month.

The day after Andrew and Abby's funeral, Lizzie was seen burning a dress in this kitchen. Lizzie’s explanation was that she burned it because there was paint on it. There was no reason to keep a soiled dress. Right?

Oh, meet Lizzie, by the way.


A woman, who highly resembled Lizzie Borden, tried to purchase prussic acid the day before the murders happened. The woman claimed she needed the acid to put an edge on a seal-skin cape. Prussic acid, a lethal poison, was only available with a doctor's prescription and so the pharmacist refused to sell it to her and the woman left.

The jury would never hear about this incident at trial.

After a police investigation, Lizzie Borden was arrested and charged with the murder of her father and stepmother on August 11, 1892.

The trial of Lizzie Borden was followed by people from all over the country. It was reported on daily by several newspapers. It quickly became the talk of the country.

The actual skulls of Andrew and Abby Borden were brought into the courtroom and used to show that the suspected murder weapon fit the injuries. It was also shown to prove the brutality of the murder. People were absolutely shocked.

The skull of Andrew J. Borden. He was struck 10 times.

The skull of Abby Borden. She was struck 19 times.

Lizzie Borden fainted during the trial when the prosecution showed the skulls of her father and stepmother.

She did not testify and the only words she spoke aloud in the courtroom before the jury was charged were, "I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me."

After a 3-week trial, this jury of 12 men found Lizzie Borden not guilty on June 20, 1893.

Lizzie Borden puts her head on the rail as the foreman blurted out "not guilty."

Lizzie Borden remained in Fall River after her acquittal. She moved to this house in the wealthier Hill District, where she had always wanted to live.

Although acquitted of the charges against her, the question of whether Lizzie Borden committed the murders remains to this day. What do you think? Did she do it?

The murder house is now a bed and breakfast you can book!

…if you dare.